Sunday, October 12, 2008

And thus let the rains begin!

Friday afternoon, the rains began. About an hour before it started raining Mwande told me, "it's going to rain today. The clouds are getting dark, the weather is changing and it smells like rain". My response was "no...it's too early isn't it?" The rains aren't supposed to start until mid to late October. What do I know though?! We both left work at the same time and minutes later it started trickling down. Minutes after that it started to rain rain. And minutes thereafter, it started to pour. I have never seen rain quite like it. I even had to take a different path at one point as my normal route was completely flooded. Even so, my alternate path I still had to walk through about a foot of water. I was totally not prepared for the rains to begin, mentally I mean. I felt that my whole aura was thrown off! Also physically I am not ready, no umbrella or gumboots as of yet. Apparently when the rains start early we can expect the next week or two to be really hot...as if the recent 40 degree weather hasn't been hot enough! But I know I will be aching for the heat once it starts raining everyday and I realize how unpleasant it is to be wet all the time.

No comments: