Friday, August 1, 2008

Muzungu, muzungu!



Hello!

So things here are progressing nicely. I am really starting to enjoy myself! I had my first week of work and it went pretty good. I spent 3 days at the shelter and 2 days at the YWCA office. First I will talk about the office. I spent most of my time there kind of just sitting, waiting. There wasnt much for me to do but they told me to come there as opposed to going to the shelter. I found it rather pointless but kept quiet nonetheless. Wednesday evening there was a fundraiser at the Y for their 50th anniversary. They had performers - dancing, poetry reading, singing, fashion show as well as food and drinks for sale. It was fun but I think the turnout was less than they had anticipated. Payday here is the last Thursday of the month so unfortunately it was the evening before everyone got paid so people were saying they couldnt come because they didnt have the money for it. Come payday, everyone lines up at the ATM but by the end of the month, they have run out of money. So Wednesday I helped set up for the function and also met two girls who are completing their social work diploma at one of the colleges here. They are on "attachment" at the Y, meaning their placement. I was invited to one girls church! There are a few main questions people ask you when you first meet - your name, how many people are in your family, if you're married, and if you believe in God. When I tell people I am Jewish, their jaws practically hit the floor. The girls at the shelter are convinced I will be Christian by the time I leave Zambia. Zambia is considered a Christian country, if you haven't picked up on that.
So now to the girls at the CICC (child in crisis centre, the shelter where I will be spending most of my time)...there are 12 of them and they range in age from 4-16. At first, they seemed hesitant to talk to me or invite me to play with them. I hoped that in time, they would begin to trust me, as I of course understand that they may have difficulties with trust, considering their history of being abused. By the end of the week, I was playing with them, and chatting about God and heaven and hell. A few of them want to learn French so I am teaching them that, while they teach me Nyanja. I feel like I am learning quickly! A few new sentences I have picked up:
Tifouna kusovela - Do you want to play a game?
Vinoukila bwino - It smells good
Nizakakouyewa - I will miss you

There is one girl who is deaf so not only am I trying to learn Nyanja but sign language as well! People back home have been asking me if the girls appear depressed or anxious, considering the sexual abuse they have experienced. My answer would be no, not in the way we would think. They laugh, play, run around...all the things we would think a "happy" child would do. What strikes me most though is some of the things they talk about. For instance, as I was teaching of the girls French today, some of the sentences she wanted translated were "My mother doesnt like me", "I am stranded", "I don't have a family" and that, was heartbreaking. So there is no doubt work to be done, in terms of counseling, and in time, once trust and a relationship is built, I am sure their stories will come out.

A note about the minibuses: There is no such thing as too close for comfort here! That goes for the number of people on the buses, the distance away from pedestrians, and other cars. On a bus bench where in Canada, we would fit 3 adults comfortably, sits at least 5 here, maybe 6 if one were a child. It sure is cozy! Next is that pedestrians NEVER have right of way, so watch out, all the time! They wont stop. Period. Traffic here is busy, all the time. There are about 2 million minbuses on the road in addition to all the cars. It is often quite chaotic and could take 20 minutes to drive 20 feet. But even so, with all the traffic chaos, I have not seen any accidents (knock on wood). It takes me anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour and a half each way to get to work. I have an interesting route though, driving through town. Lots of things to look at and take in. I have had a few marriage proposals on the minubus. I tell them, "Ndine wokwatiwa", meaning, I am married but they dont seem to care.

Muzungu, muzungu!! White people, white people! I hear this throughout my day. Some say it is used as a derogatory term but others say that it is meant as just so...white people. It is interesting to note where the white people are, it is as if they hibernate during the day. I rarely see another white person all day, unless I stop at the mall on my way home to pick up something I need (a bar of soap, some bread, use the internet, etc.). I dont see them on the minibuses, ever.


You can buy just about anything on the side of the road...peanuts, candy, potatoes, beds (literally, there is someone who sells wooden beds that I pass by), sofas, TV's. I love it!

We have moved into our flat, and out of the guesthouse we were in temporarily. Our new place is really nice. Our landlord lives in the house attached to our place, along with his banja (family). It has hot water! The guesthouse didn't so my hot shower this morning was really nice! Mind you, the shower appears to be either frigid or scalding. I have yet to find the sweet spot. There are 2 bedrooms each with a bunk bed. So two of us are sharing a room now, and we will potentially switch every 2 months so we each get our own room.

The first photo is in the back of a minuibus (with Melanie on the left). The second is me in front of the Y head office.

Well I am sure this is long enough for now. Hope everyone is doing well! Please let me know how you are doing, as messages from home are always appreciated!

No comments: